An overview of some Russian Al-alloys containing Sc
These alloys are in many ways equivalent to the 5xxx series. In order to control the
microstructure, they have small additions of Sc, Zr, in some qualities also Ti, Mn, REM and
- 1515 - contains 1 % Mg, additions of Sc, Zr, and also some REM
- 1523 - contains 2% Mg, otherwise as 1515
- 1535 - contains 4.5% Mg, otherwise as 1515
- 1570 - contains 6% Mg, additions of Sc, Zr, Mn, Be
- 1571 - contains 6% Mg. Special alloy for welding wire
This series of wrought, age hardenable and weldable alloys are almost similar to the 7xxx series,
except for the Sc addition.
- 1970 - Zr/Mg ratio of 2.6, typically 5%Zn and 1.7 Mg, additions of Cu, Sc, Zr and Ti
- 1975 - Close to 1970, but lower Sc content (ca. 0.07% Sc)
- 1981 - Close to AA7012, 1%Cu
- 1987 - Has superplastic properties
Age hardenable and weldable.
- 1421 - contains 5% Mg, 2%Li, 0.15%Sc, 0.17%Zr
- 1423 - contains 3.5% Mg, otherwise as 1421
High strength and weldable.
- 1460 - contains 3%Cu, 2%Li, 0.1%Sc, 0.1%Zr